Sunday, December 26, 2010

66 Love Letters - Chapter One - Genesis

A Fall, a Promise, and the Story Begins: Genesis Through Deuteronomy

Our first love letter begins with a mighty fall. The very first two human beings God created decide to do things their own way. They quickly discover His plan for them would've been a much better choice.

Throughout the book of Genesis, the Lord uses ordinary and extremely flawed people to fulfill His plan in extraordinary ways. 

"In Genesis, I begin telling the story of how everyone fails and I succeed. I want you to know how much of a mess you've made out of all the beauty I created. Nothing works as it should anymore. But I have a plan that your failures cannot destroy. There is a capacity for beauty in your soul that I will restore. That's a promise. I give you a glimpse into how I will carry out My plan in this first love letter."

A few questions to ponder.

 
Which story is your favorite in the book of Genesis?

Do you have a favorite scripture in the book of Genesis?

Which woman can you relate to the most?

  • Sarah, who manipulates her husband and justifies her behavior?

  • Rebekah, who favors one of her children, putting the devotion of her son above her own husband?

  • Or, maybe you understand the pain of insecure Leah, who plays second fiddle to her more beautiful younger sister, Rachel?

For me, well, I can relate to all three of these women - Sarah most of all. I struggle with the word wait. It's all I can do to sit at a red light for two minutes. I can justify impatience and encourage ...okay, manipulate my husband into believing my way is the best way to go about something.

I am so grateful God's mercies are new every day!

The faithful love of the Lord never ends! His mercies never cease. Great is His faithfulness; His mercies begin afresh each morning. Lamentations 3:22-23 NLT

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Genisis!!!! When I first decided to follow Jesus, I read my Bible like CRAZY...ALL the time. While reading Genisis I remember thinking that I couldn't believe that THIS was the bible!!! Romance, deception, murder, passion....this was better than any soap I had ever seen on TV. It was NOTHING like I had imagined the Bible to be. Real people...crazy people...just like me. I'm sure glad God can use crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Genesis too. While preparing to write this blog post, for the first time I read it all in one big chunk and it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm loving Genesis too and can relate to Sarah and have a hard time waiting and come up with my own plan that turns into a mess. You think I would learn but no I continue to jump and not wait or think it through. God still uses the mess but I think it would have been so much better doing it His way.

    My only real thing I am having a hard time with is the author of the book writing as God's words...YIKES he has some nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok... I love Genesis! I love the stories. I love all their flaws and all their choices. It makes me happy that when you get to know God first... He tells you about people. I like that He thinks about me as much as ALL the people in the begining and we mean something.

    I love Genesis in Hebrew where the words become pictures and not just words. They paint a whole different picture of God, of what is happening and the people in the book.

    My favorites: Three visitors ch 18, Abraham's testing ch 22 and Jacob's dream ch 28

    ReplyDelete