Sunday, February 20, 2011

1 Samuel

As we begin the book of 1 Samuel, we are introduced to Hannah. Her name in Hebrew means - grace or favor.


Elkanah had two wives, one named Hannah, the other Peninnah. Peninnah had children, but Hannah had none. 1Samuel 1:2

By the looks of this introduction to her life, she doesn't seem very favored at all. She was unable to bear children, unable to fulfill the greatest desire of womanhood.

...but Hannah had none. Those words are physically painful, if you're a woman who has experienced the heartache or inability to have a child.

We learn Hannah is tormented and ridiculed for years, by Elkanah's child-bearing wife, and immediately we are drawn to her pain. This happened year after year, whenever Hannah went to the Lord's house, Peninnah would make her miserable...1Samuel 1:7

There are quite a few take-away points that come to mind when I examine the life of Hannah.
  • Prayer - Hannah took her unfulfilled dreams of motherhood to the throne-room of God. Too often, Hannah becomes the sainted poster child for prayer. Please don't put her on a pedestal. Like you and I, she was not perfect.  She struggled with bitterness and resentfulness. Though she was resentful (bitter), she prayed to the Lord while she cried. 1Samuel 1:10 What sets Hannah apart, is what she did with this bitterness of heart. She took it to the Lord in prayer.
  • Peace - Once Hannah surrendered her most treasured desire to the Lord, peace was evident in her life. ...if you will look at my misery, remember me, and give me a boy, then I will give him to You for as long as he lives...(v.11), Then the woman went away and ate. She was no longer sad. (v.18)
  • Promise -  Hannah promised God her son and followed through with that prayerful vow. I prayed for this child, and the Lord granted my request. In return, I am giving him to the Lord. He will be dedicated to the Lord his whole life. 1Samuel 1:27-28a I'm really good at reminding God of His promises to me. Yet, how often do I make a promise to the Lord and keep it? Hannah gave the Lord her only child. Meditate on that for a moment.
  • Praise - Hannah rejoiced in the Lord, the very day she placed her son Samuel in the care of Eli the priest.  Hannah prayed to the Lord. My heart finds joy in the Lord. My head is lifted to the Lord. My mouth mocks my enemies. (I wonder if she's thinking of Peninnah here!?) I rejoice because you saved me. 1Samuel 2:1

A Few Questions to Ponder

  1. As a child of the One true and living God, do you realize you are favored?
  2. Is prayer a first-response during a bitter trial, or a last resort?
  3. Friends, where chaos reigns, God does not. If you are not feeling peace in your home, in your life, in your marriage...take your concerns to the Lord. 
  4. Have you promised God something? Have you followed through with that promise? Make today the day you confess your procrastination and begin again.
  5. Where can you praise God, before your blessing? Rejoice in Him, regardless of your circumstances.



**Reading for next week - 2 Samuel**

No comments:

Post a Comment