Sunday, February 27, 2011

2 Samuel


Yes, I admit it. This is one of my favorite books of the Bible. Reading through the stories here, I wonder how people come to believe the Bible is boring. Clearly, they've never taken the time to read 2 Samuel.

David has a deep love for his Heavenly Father.  Not only courageous and faithful slaying Goliath in 1 Samuel, we see David become King, in 2 Samuel. He writes and sings songs to God, is a gifted musician - a worship leader at heart!

To make things a bit more focused, I wanted to discuss one of my favorite stories in the Bible. It can be found in chapters eleven and twelve: David & Bathsheba.

Everytime I read this story, I hope things will turn out differently. As King David comes out in the evening and watches Bathsheba bathe, I want to warn her to cover up. There are theories about whether or not she knew she was aware the King was watching her. Maybe it's my police background, but I have a hard time giving her victim-status. I'm not laying blame solely on Bathsheba, she was summoned by the King, not something you can refuse. 

Once she sends word that she is pregnant, King David does what many of us do when we've sinned - we cover it up. He calls for Uriah the Hittite, one of his thirty-seven mighty men of valor. Uriah was a man's man, and definitely the King's man. Loyal, faithful, and wholly devoted to his king. But, we see King David's plans to get Uriah drunk so he will lay with his wife come to a disastrous ending. Trustworthy even while drunk, Uriah refuses to defile himself while his men are at war. Marching back into battle, this mighty man of valor will carry his own death warrant. 

King David who we had grown to love, succombs to lust and sins against God. He is not pleased. Instead of confessing, repenting of his iniquities, he does what we all have done and tries to cover it up. And, just like is the way of God, without confession and repentence, there is consequence.

King David marries Bathsheba and their son dies. Not long after, the prophet Nathan comes and shares a story with the king about a precious lamb that was stolen and killed. King David is furious and wants the thief killed.

Nathan reveals, "You are the man! This is what the LORD, the God of Israel, says: ‘I anointed you king over Israel, and I delivered you from the hand of Saul. I gave your master’s house to you, and your master’s wives into your arms. I gave you all Israel and Judah. And if all this had been too little, I would have given you even more.  Why did you despise the word of the LORD by doing what is evil in his eyes? You struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and took his wife to be your own. You killed him with the sword of the Ammonites. Now, therefore, the sword will never depart from your house, because you despised me and took the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your own.’


“This is what the LORD says: ‘Out of your own household I am going to bring calamity on you. Before your very eyes I will take your wives and give them to one who is close to you, and he will sleep with your wives in broad daylight.You did it in secret, but I will do this thing in broad daylight before all Israel.’”
2Samuel 12 7-12
God will not be mocked. What we do in the dark, in secret, will be revealed in the light. As a Christian, I need to remember I am being watched. The moment it is revealed I am a follower of Christ, people look for signs of authenticity. I represent the Lord.  I need to make sure I live in a way that is God-honoring. Even his most precious David will suffer the consequences of watching this prophecy of Nathan come to pass.

But, this story doesn't end with consequence. It ends with redemption. King David confesses his sin against the Lord and we see later is blessed with a son by Bathsheba. It is their son, Solomon, who is asked of God to build His temple. Their child is the redemptive gift from a forgiving God who loves His children deeply.

A Few Thoughts to Ponder 

  • Sin can trip up even the most solid believers. Confess any lusts of your own heart today. Don't allow sin to trip you up.
  • It always surprises me how the very sins I struggle with look worse on someone else. Have you ever thought of that before?
  • God had even more for King David. Yet, his sinful desires changed God's plans for him. Our Heavenly Father desires to give us more than we can ask or think. What a God we serve!
  • Sin never effects just one person.

No comments:

Post a Comment